alloca - is it bad?

Paul S Secinaro pss610 at unhd.unh.edu
Sat Mar 23 03:12:41 AEST 1991

I've recently been compiling a lot of GNU software on my system, and I've
noticed that a lot of the README's talk about how some systems have bad
'alloca' library functions.

My question is: is there any way to find out if my alloca is bad?  I've
compiled GCC and a few other things with the standard alloca (in libPW.a,
apparently) and they seem to work okay so far, but you can never tell when
a bug will pop up (usually, at the worst time).  Will the replacement function
supplied with EMACS work, and should I use it just to be safe?

I'm using AT&T SVR3.2.1 and the C Software Development Set 4.1.6.

Thanks,

Paul Secinaro

--

Paul S. Secinaro