Kernel mode trap. Type 0x0000000E

Support Account support at bomber.ism.isc.com
Wed Mar 6 02:46:07 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb28.185352.22561 at DMI.USherb.CA> beauchem at terre (Denis Beauchemin) writes:
>We often see the following error message on different 386/33 MHz systems (some
>are SCSI and some aren't).  UNIX SVR3.2.2 is installed:
>6 lines of register information, then
>PANIC: Kernel mode trap. Type 0x0000000E
>Could someone tell me what is the cause of this PANIC?  We've been told that
>it's supposed to be related to memory, but is it hardware or software?

According to Intel's 386 chip documentation, interrupt 14 (="e")
is a page fault exception occurring when paging is enabled and an
error occurs translating a linear address to a physical address.
This error can be caused if the procedure doesn't have privileges
to access the page, or if the page-directory or page-table entry
used for address translation has a zero in its present bit.

A driver going awry can cause this condition. It can be analyzed
by building the kernel debugger into the kernel. When the fault
occurs and the system panics the os should drop into the debugger
which can then be used to display registers and to do a stack dump.
Under ISC Unix, the debugger is documented in section 8 of the
reference manual.