uid-mapping using RFS (in loopback mode) (on Esix)

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.uucp
Sun Mar 3 02:50:55 AEST 1991

I have set up RFS in loopback mode on my Esix Rev D system.
I have a directory /usr2/src mounted as /sources.  When I ls the
files in /sources, they show as uid and gid 60002.  (they are owned
by me in /usr2/src).

Following is an excerpt from the Esix Release Notes:

  idload
    Many ID mapping features do not function properly with the loopback
    function.  Only use "global" blocks of information in mapping files
    (uid.rules and gid.rules).  Within global blocks only "default
    transparent" works as intended.  Specific mapping (map lines) or
    attempts to use "host" blocks will result in users and groups being
    mapped to 60002.

Basically I guess they're saying that the RFS loopback mode is broken
(read: useless except for read-only file systems, and only those world
readable).

My questions, though concern "global blocks", "uid.rules", "gid.rules",
"default transparent", "map lines", and "host blocks".

What do these mean?  Is there some way to "use" these to get around
the aforementioned bugs?

Bill

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill at unixland.uucp              The Think_Tank BBS & Public Access Unix
other:	heiser at world.std.com