Microsoft serial mouse with INTERACTIVE UNIX

Tim Larson tim at gistdev.gist.com
Fri Mar 22 07:13:01 AEST 1991

I am developing an application which will be run on INTERACTIVE 386 UNIX
systems which have a Microsoft serial mouse connected to a serial port.

I understand that there is a /dev/mouse device driver that can be used with
bus mice and that there is a /dev/kdmouse device driver that can be used with
keyboard mice (such as exist on a PS/2 system).  These devices are accessed
with a simple ioctl call that returns information about the button status and
mouse movement since the last ioctl call.

However, in order to support the Microsoft serial mouse, I believe that I will
need to communicate with the mouse through /dev/tty00.  As I understand it I
will need to open the device and send protocol of some sort to the mouse which
will cause it to send back information about button status and mouse movement.

Questions:

1)	Is anything which I said above wrong?

2)	Is there any sample source code available which could assist me?

3)	Microsoft Press offers a book entitled "Mouse Programmers
	Reference Guide".  Has anyone seen this book? Does it contain
	information on the protocols used to access the mouse or does it only
	document the DOS interrupts that are used the DOS TSR mouse driver?

4)	Are there any other sources of documentation that I should
	look into.

5)	Any other suggestions or information that you could offer...

			Thank you for your time

			Tim Larson

			tim at gistdev.gist.com

			Global Information Systems Technologies Inc.
			1-217-352-1165