Lan Manager/X 2.0

Carlo Milono cmilono at netcom.COM
Fri Mar 15 14:49:24 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.171026.2424 at cfctech.cfc.com> alexb at cfctech.cfc.com (Alex Beylin) writes:
>In article <26803 at netcom.COM> cmilono at netcom.COM (Carlo Milono) writes:
>>

>>The MS LAN Manager 2.0 code for the AT&T StarGROUP will be named 2.0,
>>to keep in tune with the MS version levels.
>>
>>The new features will include a Single System Image, Primary and Backup
>>Domain Name Controllers, database replication, and improved security.
>>

>What about peer services?  (Direct communication between LM clients).
>Is that slated for 2.0 as well?

   I do not know if that feature will be implemented in this release,
   as it wasn't mentioned.

>On the same subject, have anybody implemented a LAN with both LM/X
>and OS/2 LM servers?  Please share the experience.

   I have not done any implementations of a mixed environment, but I
   did attend the Interop '89 show where the TOP/NetBIOS boot showed
   a CLNP/TP4 OSI network with LAN MAN API connectivity.  This show
   had Ungermann-Bass, AT&T, 3COM, and RCE with their respective LM
   implementations, with complete connectivity at the client level to
   any vendors server.  This was to show the open systems approach to
   OSI networking, but also highlighted the LanMan standard (IMO).
   AT&T was the only vendor who had LM/X, the others were OS/2.  TP4
   or OSI-based networking is quite prevalent in Europe, but it seems
   to be shunned in the US...curious, eh?  I don't know who supplies
   the underlying protocol stack, but each vendor seems to stake a claim
   to one in particular...XNS, TCP, OSI, etc.

   I have 'spliced' a stack from one vendor into another's client, but
   doing that on the server is beyond my abilities at this time...the
   server code being more difficult than a straight-forward NDIS hack.