Best way to backup SCO Xenix/UNIX

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Fri Mar 29 02:51:35 AEST 1991

The title says it all.  What *IS* the best way to do a backup?  At the
moment all I do is make sure I keep all important data on a seperate
filesystem, then periodically backup up that filesystem using tar.
If I ever had a crash, i'd have to re-install the Operating System
(Xenix 386 2.3.3) then restore my data from tape.

I'd like to know the best way to do a backup so that I can recover from
a FULL crash i.e. having to re-install on a different machine from
a tape backup.  I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it, like using
the standard backup proggram SCO give you, but find it too inflexible.

There are several commercial programs that do this kind of thing for
you (ctar, Lone tar), but they cost money :-)

I'm basically looking for the best way(s) to do a secure backup for
a quick recovery from a crash.  Any other interesting information
on backup methodology would also be appreciated.  If it helps, I'm
backing up to a 150 meg tape drive.

Post here or mail me direct, i'll post a summary if there is any
interest.

Thanks

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP
        - First time, it's a KLUDGE - The second, a trick. -