Needed: pcnfsd that knows about /etc/shadow

Keith Ericson keithe at sail.LABS.TEK.COM
Thu Mar 7 05:59:56 AEST 1991

In article <15478 at uudell.dell.com> sblair at upurbmw.dell.com (Steve Blair) writes:
}
}Here's a quick and simple way to avert any problems with pcnfsd.c A message
}pcnfsd...  uses getpwnam() to get the /etc/passwd entry for a particular user.
}...
}To correct this, I added code to pcnfsd.c (source to which is distributed with
}SUN's PC-NFS and FTP Software's PC/TCP) to additionally call getspnam() to
}access the shadow password file to retrieve the user's password. This was
}a trivial modification.

This is certainly the way things *should* be done, and I've managed to
locate a getspname() in libsec.a, but the ISC 2.0.2 documentation in NO WAY
documents the use of the shadow file password system.  The AT&T Release
notes *mentions* the fact that the encrypted passwords have been moved to
the shadow file for security reasons, but that's all I've been able to find
on the subject...

	I have no idea how the library call(s) might be used to access the
shadow file.

sigh....

kEITHe