X11 and GNU emacs

Stephen C. Hill steveh at moosehead.mips.com
Wed Mar 13 08:42:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar11.222925.25685 at news.larc.nasa.gov>,
jka at radar0.larc.nasa.gov (J. Keith Alston) writes:

>  Hello out there,
>      I've just built and installed GNU emacs on a COMPAQ 386-33
>  running ISC unix v2.2. Everything seems to work fine except that
>  when I try to start emacs under X windows I get the following:
>
>  X server not responding. Check your DISPLAY environment variable.
>
>  I built emacs with HAVE_X_WINDOWS and X11 defined. anyone have any
>  idea whats wrong.

I have to (under csh) "setenv DISPLAY xtermname:0" (where xtermname is
the name of the x-window terminal that you want the emacs window to open
up on).  I would suppose that "DISPLAY=xtermname:0;export DISPLAY" would
be needed under Bourne shell.

Steve

--
Stephen C. Hill, CDP
{ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!steveh  or  steveh at mips.com
Integration Products Group
MIPS Computer Systems, Stop 6-03
950 Deguigne Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94086, (408) 524-7436

Time is Nature's method of keeping us from bumping into ourselves.