Unlimited software warranties (was Re: Mach from mt Xinu)

Mike Leibensperger mjl at lccma.bos.locus.com
Fri Mar 15 08:14:37 AEST 1991

Here's a ridiculous analogy; let's see how far we can stretch it....

Consider the purchase of a car.  You buy it new, and it runs perfectly
well for seven years.  After seven years, is it reasonable to expect the
manufacturer to return your money on the basis of an unlimited warranty?

No.  The car has accumulated a lot of wear and tear over seven years,
and it is no longer worth what you originally paid for it.

Software undergoes similar wear and tear, believe it or not.  Even if
stray gamma rays don't destroy the bits on the distribution media, a
subtle form of wear and tear devaluation is still taking place.

Let's take a concrete example.  How much would you pay *right* *now* for
a TOPS-10 source license and a 9-track tape with the code on it?  I'll
even through in this extremely valuable KL-10 processor.  *Now* how much
would you pay?  But wait!  That's not all you get!  For absolutely no
extra charge, I'll throw in this VAX-11/730 running an early beta
release of VMS 2.0.  That's right!  VMS 2.0!!!  NOW how much would you
pay?

Not a damn cent, if you're wise.  And you certainly wouldn't pay the
initial purchase price.  These items, wicked cool though they were at
one time, are now obsolete.  Big time.  And just try to get a bug fixed!

Unlimited software warranties?  Sir, I have no desire to impugn your
professional accumen, but really sir, you make me guffaw.

	yr obdnt svnt,
	mjl at locus.com
--
Michael J. Leibensperger <mjl at locus.com>       "None are so deeply enslaved
Locus Computing Corp./Boston			as those who falsely believe