X386 under AT&T UNIX System V/386 Rlelease 3.2

lu hongjiu - CS260 hlu at eecs.wsu.edu
Thu Mar 28 16:08:00 AEST 1991

Hi,

Has anyone succeeded in installing Thomas Roell's X386 under AT&T UNIX
System V/386 Release 3.2.? I am trying to install Thomas Roell's X386
1.1a on our 386 machine. It is an AT&T 6386 WGS, running AT&T UNIX
System V/386 Release 3.2.2. Although I managed to compile everything,
except for XView, on our machine with local connection only, the server
doesn't run very well. First we only have 256K on the video card.
With 256 colors, only 640x400 resolution is available. It looks not as
good as the Open Look we have. Has anyone ported X386 to 16 colors?

I am now testing the server with xinit from shell. The server works, but
it is not stable. The mouse freezes every two or three minutes. I have
to switch to another virtual terminal and then go back to free it. It
is very annoying. I tried to start the server from virtual terminal.
Every time I tried, it just hung there. I have to start it from
console, which is not very good idea.

Now I configured the server with X-queue to get keyboard and mouse. The
mouse has to be a bus mouse. I was wondering if it is possible to use a
serial mouse with AT&T UNIX. I understand it works with the other
UNIXes.

I am now trying to add TCP/IP support to the server. We have TWG's
TCP/IP package, which is very different from others, from library to
header files. Has anyone done it yet?

Thanks for any help.

H. Lu