6157 tape drive on AT machine

Osvaldo Gold osvaldo at sos.com
Fri Mar 8 16:37:49 AEST 1991

Does anybody know what is required to get the IBM tape drive 6157
to work on an AT machine?

This is the deal:  I have in front of me an IBM tape drive 6157-002
and its controller for an AT type machine.  I'm running SCO ODT 1.1
on a 386 AT.  When I connect the controller to the machine and run
IBM diagnostics (without connecting the tape drive), everything is
great.  I connect the tape drive and reboot the machine under UNIX
and nothing happens: my system doesn't see it.  I take the driver out
of the kernel and reinstall it, and when the driver is being configured,
the system tells me something like: "a SCSI tape drive has been
detected..."

The card doesn't have a single switch or jumper on it.

What's going on???  If I get it to work I get to keep the drive.
Please please please ...

---
Osvaldo Gold             Secure Online Systems, Los Angeles, California
osvaldo at sos.com           Are disclaimers necessary???  I disclaim!