ISC 2.2 Hangs on disk I/O

David Rector drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Wed Mar 13 07:25:43 AEST 1991

In <24113 at hydra.gatech.EDU> doug at pravda (Doug MacKenzie) writes:

>I have a Modular Circuit Technology's 25MHz cache 386 system.
>I have a Western Digital WD1006V-SR2 RLL controller with a Segate
>ST-277-1 65MB RLL Harddisk with DOS in the first ~8Meg partion and
>ISC 2.2 UNIX in the rest.  /etc/partions contains an accurate map
>of the bad sectors in the unix partion.

>The problem:
>  Some times during disk I/O, the disk light will just stay on solid
>  and the system is locked up.  I can not get any response other than
>  turning the stupid thing off.

>  It happens sometimes during boot up when it is scanning the disk.
>  It happens sometimes during large GREP's.
>  It just seems to happen!!!
>  This is not a panic.  It is just hung.

>Does anyone have any ideas?

>		Doug MacKenzie
>		doug at cc.gatech.edu

Ah, another sufferer.  The disease seems to be incurable, but you won't
notice it after a while.

No one has firmly diagnosed this problem with the otherwise admirable
WD1006, but the behavior suggests that an error condition is not being
correctly handled by the ISC driver.  Conjecture: controller is asked
to read a flakey sector; CRC comes up bad too many times and controller
gives up; driver doesn't have a time-out and never sees error message
or resets the controller; system hangs.

The cure is time.  ISC relocates sectors which show frequent bad
crc's.  After a few weeks the problem will occur only rarely.
Experiments suggest that the process might be speeded by writing and
running a short program that will read all of the disk sectors
(whether in a file or not).

Boot sectors, which cannot be relocated, might cause more permanent
problems.  Change the boot cylinder.

The supurb performance of the WD1006 makes up for this minor inconvenience.

David L. Rector				drector at orion.oac.uci.edu
Dept. of Math.				U. C. Irvine, Irvine CA 92717