Unlimited software warranties (was Re: Mach from mt Xinu)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Thu Mar 14 04:59:42 AEST 1991

In article <8024 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd at Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
> I don't really understand why a money-back, satisfaction guaranteed
> is so alien to compunter companies.

It's alien to *everyone* today.

> After all, it works for WallMart
> (wonder if Sam Walton being the richest man in America could be a
> lucky coincidence?), K-mart, Sears, and most reputable mail order operations.

I'll save bandwidth and leave out my problems with Sears, the most
reputable of the companies you have named, but let me just say that
if you think this policy is alive and well you can't have had the bad
luck to buy a lemon lately.

That reminds me. I gotta call a mail order company about a return. They sent
me the wrong part and want me to pay return postage.

But this is beside the point. The subject at hand is an *unlimited* money
back warranty. I admit the shortage of 30 or 90 day money-back warrantees is
a high priority on my "what I'd fix if I was god for a day" list, but an
indefinite one is really just asking for trouble.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com