Market share of Xenix/UNIX

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Fri Mar 22 13:05:57 AEST 1991

According to jay at metran.UUCP (Jay Ts):
>I don't know; I'm vulnerable to whatever I hear or read, but it seems that
>Interactive and the other UNIX resellers have done quite well.  They were
>first to put real UNIX on the PC ...

Sigh.

XENIX *is* real UNIX.  A distinct flavor from System V, yes; but real
UNIX nonetheless.

Not standard?  Ha!  Back when I used Xenix/386 2.3 as my everyday
programming environment, my standard programmer's reference book was
the SVID.

I'd go back to XENIX today, in fact, if not for (1) the unique object
file format, (2) the antique V7 filesystem, and (3) no NFS.

>Because of this situation, many companies may migrate from Xenix 286 to
>ISC, ESIX or some other vendor's UNIX.

Quite true.  On the other hand, SCO has some markets locked up -- not
because of technical brilliance, but because of marketing.  It's not
called "the market" for nothing.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
   "All this is conjecture of course, since I *only* post in the nude.