Mach from mt Xinu

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.cactus.org
Thu Mar 7 03:21:58 AEST 1991

In <3366 at sixhub.UUCP>, davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) wrote:

>   My impression is that there are some people who will buy something
> which is non-AT&T code for personal rather than technical reasons. The
> rest of the market will look at cost of ownership, features,
> performance, and then decide.

There are people who don't care if their unix box runs DOS, and have
no use for SysVr3 compatibility, much less Xenix-isms.  Remember that
the academic world that runs unix typically runs something much closer
to Mach than to SysVr3.

I'm not sure what Mt. Xinu's market will be.  There are admittedly few
hacks who (1) have a 386 box and (2) don't care about DOS or Xenix.
But there are substantial numbers of users who are used to BSD, and I
would venture a guess that most CS people at universities are exposed
to BSD before SysV.

The main market is obviously the academic and large commercial sites
that haven't let SysV in the door yet.  But I assume it's a tough sell
against Sun...
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james at bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789