Is 4MB Enough for Interactive?

Norman Kohn nvk at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Sun Mar 3 16:11:54 AEST 1991

In article <1913 at fallst.UUCP> tkevans at fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>Sooo, now that I'm going to a '386, I don't want to have to go
>down the road of having to upgrade the system after I buy it.
>How well with Interactive perform on a single-usre "personal"
>machine in 4MB?

Just fine.  I haven't tried X-Windows, and cannot comment about
its needs.  I've allocated lots of swap space, but haven't looked
to see if it ever gets used (I suspect very little).  With
4 Mb, and single-user (but sometimes running background
compilations etc.) I find things faster with a 1 Mb ramdisk for /tmp.
--
Norman Kohn   		| ...ddsw1!nvk
Chicago, Il.		| days/ans svc: (312) 650-6840