gcc and g++ wanted for ISC Unix.

J.R. Jesson jr at twisted.dkw.com
Thu Mar 28 03:03:15 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar25.213918.13974 at aie.uucp>, hansb at aie.uucp (Hans Bayle) writes:

|> Is there any place from where I can ftp g++, glib++, gcc, and gas source code
|> configured to generate COFF objects for Interactive 386/ix 2.2?
|>
|> I've tried the COFF patches from David Dawes at syphus.physics.su.oz.au,
|> but Interactive's ld cant handle the object files that are generated by gas.
|> I've been looking in the code, and it seems that Interactive's aouthdr.h
|> is different from the a.out.h that came with the Esix COFF patches for gas.

I would recommend that you blow off "COFF" compatability when compiling gnu
under ISC Unix.  I have gcc, gdb and g++ running, and got them running simply
by specifying the standard 386-sysv entry when configuring. In essence, because
gcc and g++ use the stock ISC assembler, you get COFF but not encapsulated
COFF.  Although you dont get some of the extended COFF stuff (and dbx records),
it's probably not much of a loss either, since you would have to duplicate all
of the system libraries you like to use (ala robbitussin), and be bound to
ranlib (isnt ranlib kind of a pain in the ass?).

J.R.