a questions re perstor controllers

Dwayne Bailey dwayne at stratsft.UUCP
Sun Mar 24 00:26:58 AEST 1991

In article <24725 at hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3408a at prism.gatech.EDU (DYKES,DAVID PRESTON) writes:

>	Question number two...  Do any of ya'll have any experience with
>Perstor controllers and a 386 Unix?   Good, bad ugly?  As a dirt poor
>student these controllers sound to good to be true.
>		-Thanks in Advance
>		-Dave
>--

	I'm using the Perstor controller under UNIX with no major problems.
The only "problem" I have is that on my 20MHz 386 box, the best interleave
I can get out of my Seagate 4096 MB hard disk is 3:1, which of course slows
performance.  I suppose there has to be some tradeoff to get 147 MB out of
an 80 Meg drive.

	One note of warning.  Make sure you get model PS180-16FN.  At least,
I think that's the right number.  The important part is the 'N' at the end
of the number.  Versions prior to that were NOT UNIX compatible.  That
should not be a problem if you buy new, as that model has been out for at
least a year, probably more.  But if you buy used or reconditioned, beware.

Dwayne Bailey
Strategic Software