FTP ISC 2.2 Woes.

Hibbard T. Smith JR smitty at essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM
Fri Mar 15 12:17:39 AEST 1991

At a particulr site, we have 4 systems running ISC 2.2.  2 of them are
33 Mhz. 386 ALR's, 1 is an Intel 25 Mhz 386 , and the new one is a 33 Mhz 486
ALR power cache 4/e.  They all use Adaptec 1542-a/b host adapters to run
disks and an Archive 2150s tape drive.  For network support, they all use
3-COMM 3C503 (Etherlink 2) cards.  The first 3 work great, reliable networking
and all, including FTP.  The new one's FTP server doesn't work at all.
You can log into it from another machine, but you can't do anything which
requires an outbound data transfer.  The message seen at the client is:

	"421 Service not supported.  Server disconnected"

Inbound traffic works fine, and running the server at another machine to
this client is also fine.  All other networking appears to work fine.

We have torn apart all the config files and can't find any errors.  We're
running FTPD from INETD with the -d and -l options.  No error messages
appear in the errlog or message files.

Multi User Systems (our distributor in Hollis NH) says "must be hardware".
I'm willing to buy that as a possibility, but what hardware?  I also
believe hardware's unlikely since NFS and rcp file xfers work fine both
ways, and use all the same hardware paths.  I have personally moved ~200
MB of data to this system with NFS (mounted file systems). The software is
identical on all the affected systems also.

I'd sure appreciate any help or advice on this one, as I'm about out of
ideas. ;-(  Thanks in advance for any and all help.
--
		Smitty