BRU advertisement??

Gray Watson cgwst at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Tue Mar 12 11:41:42 AEST 1991

Howdy:
I got a letter in the mail the other day from an unknown friend Jeff.  The
note is written on a copied page of the Denver Computer Journal.  The copy
shows an advertisement for BRU in the middle of an "article" about the backup
utility.

The note reads: 'CALL THESE GUYS, THIS IS A GREAT PRODUCT -- JEFF' and at the
bottom on the page: 'P.S. HAVING A GREAT TIME IN COLORADO. SEE YOU SOON!'.

Now, I know very few Jeffs and:
a) they would never send me a letter like this,
b) I've checked with most of them and none of them have sent me this thing.
c) their handwriting is a lot worse than this,

Other interested info:
a) the Fergus Inn Suites Hotel (P.O. Box 9009, Boulder, Colorado 80301) from
   which the letter was mailed does not exist according to directory assistance
   and a guy I talked to in Boulder last night
b) The Denver Computer Journal does not exist according to directory assistance
   although I do admit that the Bolder guy thought he may have heard of it
c) the "article" surrounding the BRU add looks like it was written by a BRU
   employee (right out of a sales brochure).

Now, I could be wrong so I am not going to flame BRU til I'm sure.
Anyone in Boulder know of the Fergis Inn Suites Hotel?
Anyone in Denver heard of the Denver Computer Journal?  The add comes from Page
  19 (no date).
Anyone else get one of these things?

I have already asked for mail-fraud paperwork from my local postmaster.  We
will see what happens.

gray

p.s. If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm pissed off!!!