problems linking large files

felix brunner brunner at metoch.uu.ch
Tue Mar 5 23:15:14 AEST 1991

I have some problems with ld (linker of C++, C resp.)!
I am using Interactive Unix 2.2 and Glockenspiel C++ 2.0B.

ld displays the following error message:
	fail to write symbol name 'symbol_name' in string table
	for file 'file_name'

Does anybody now what's the reason of this error message ?
How can I  avoid it ?
Where can I find information about ld's error messages ?
(I couldn't find any information about ld's error messages neither
in C manuals nor in UNIX manuals.)

I expect my string table to have a length of less than 200'000 bytes.
According to my UNIX manuals the maximum length of a string table
is 2^32 - 4 bytes. I also made a test program with a string table length of
more than 400'000 bytes, the length of the string table entries are 40 bytes.
I had no problems to build the executable file of this test program, and
I'm sure that the program that fails to link will have a smaller
string table than the test program.

Urs Wuest
Mettler-Toledo AG
Switzerland