Mach from mt Xinu

Robert W. Withrow witr at rwwa.COM
Thu Mar 7 04:34:53 AEST 1991

Dear Mr. Hale:

I don't have much sympathy for the tone of the flames directed at
MtXinu recently.

However, In article <1991Mar5.232240.19264 at mtxinu.COM> you write:
>We have been providing supported Berkeley UNIX on a variety
>of hardware platforms for the past seven years.
> If we could not charge the prices we do, we would not be able to
> afford to provide our services...

>From what I understand of your announcement, the services you are
providing for the purchase fee are:

  1) Paying royalties to ATT,
  2) Repackaging working CMU software,
  3) Duplicating it onto floppies and tapes,
  4) and (although not stated, but I would assume) duplicating the
documentation.

The services your *are not* providing for this fee are,
  1) Helping to solve customer's problems,
  2) Providing bug fixes.
Or, in other words, you are *not* providing support for the purchase
price.  You *sell* these services for additional amounts.

Thus, unless you have a different definition for support than I do,
you do not ``provide supported Berkeley UNIX'' or supported Mach;
rather you sell *unsupported* Berkeley Unix and Mach, and charge
additional for the support.  I don't object to your doing this, but I
wish you would be more forthright in your descriptions.

I personally find $1,000 a little steep for a duplicating service.
There is an old saw in the software business that, when applied to
your company, goes like this:

``The software sells for $1,000.  Of course, if you want it to work
that will be an additional $500 per year.''
--
---
 Robert Withrow, R.W. Withrow Associates, Swampscott MA 01907 USA