Remote permissions for NFS backup

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 20:39:24 AEST 1991

In <1991Feb28.204247.7270 at chinet.chi.il.us> les at chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:

>In article <1991Feb25.191542.29887 at eecs.wsu.edu> swetik at eecs.wsu.edu (Paul Swetik) writes:
>>Having recently installed ISC (via Dell) NFS, I have not been able
>>to backup files cleanly across the net. Is there a clean way to
>>gain read permission for root on a client machine to backup NFS
>>mounted 'read owner' files to the client tape drive?
instructions to use rsh/remsh deleted
>The disadvantage of this approach is that you must make the backups
>separately per machine instead of slurping an entire network through
>the NFS mounts.  The advantage is that it maintains the file system
>view as well as the security of the client machines.

There is another serious advantage to this approach. Due to the behaviour
of find, you will generate a lot less network traffic doing all the 'stat()s'
on the machine to be backed up and just sending a "cpio stream" over the
network. You don't need afio (though it is nice), just
# rsh othermachine 'find / -print | cpio -ocB' | dd ibs=20b obs=64b of=mytape

Tim
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Nobody ever said I was charming before. They said, "Rimmer, you're a total git"
- Red Dwarf, "Camille".