6157 tape drive on AT machine

W. Paul Zola paulz at sco.COM
Sat Mar 23 12:34:30 AEST 1991

In article <172 at sos.com> osvaldo at sos.com (Osvaldo Gold) writes:
}In article <15365 at scorn.sco.COM> paulz at sco.COM (W. Paul Zola) writes:
}>[there is no 6157 bus card for ISA architecture]
}
}Sorry Paul.  THERE IS an AT adapter card for the 6157 tape drive.  How
}do I know?   I have it.  We just bought it!!!!  IBM sells it.  It comes
}with documentation and diagnostics tests.
}
}What it doesn't include is any assurance that SCO will help me get
}it working. ;-(
}
}---
}osvaldo at sos.com

How about that!  And after I went to all the trouble of verifying
my information with the Support and Engineering "tape leads".  :-(
We haven't seen one here, though.  I passed this information back
to the appropriate people.  (Parenthetical comment: this is a good
example of why you can't be ego-involved and good with software.
Somehow, reality will keep slapping you in the face.)

What I said still stands, though:  unless IBM has simply re-packaged
a tape controller card which we currently support (why do I think
this unlikely?) you won't be able to use it with an SCO operating
system.

Since no-one's ever heard of this card, I don't think that there's
been a decision yet on whether we'll write a driver.

-
Paul Zola			Software Support Engineer
				paulz at sco.COM
Gotta tend the earth if you want a rose.  - Emily Saliers
    DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and not for SCO.