SoundBlaster device drivers for 386 unix

Russell Lister rlister at cti1.UUCP
Tue Mar 12 02:20:56 AEST 1991

bgh at ice9.uucp (barry hannigan) writes:

>i was given a demo of a SoundBlaster card yesterday and before i shell for $200
>id like to get a couple of questions answered.

>1. how does the card interface to the system?
>   will making it work under unix involve writing a device driver?
>   what interrupts are available for use?

>2. in general, are they worth the money. the game which prompted this all was
>   LINKS, a golf simulation.

    1. they use an interrupt and an IO address.  The manufacturer also sells
       a development kit, but I've not seen it and I'm not sure if it has
       sufficient documentation to hack you own driver (the kit is for MSDOS).

    2. Are they worth it?  That's purely subjective.  Is it worth it to you?
       Especially considering that you would have to do all the device driver
       coding for unix?  For MSDOS games, though, I believe it's worth it.

Russ.

     "I think I left it in the basement, I'll run upstairs and look."
                  -  attributed to M C Escher -