slow SCO UNIX sort (was Re: Feeping Creaturism (was ...))

Roger Cornelius rac at sherpa.UUCP
Sat Mar 23 23:17:54 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Mar21.195435.3681 at kithrup.COM>, by sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan):
- In article <107 at comix.UUCP> jeffl at comix.UUCP (Jeff Liebermann) writes:
->I was told by SCO
->that it was not a problem because the sort program still yields valid
->results.
-
- No, you were told by me, from home, that SCO probably wouldn't consider it a
- bug, as it still works.  Making it work more quickly is a feature; there are
- things that yield wrong results that need to be taken care of first.  I
- never said it wasn't a problem.  In fact, it really is a problem, just not a
- bug.

SCO sent me a "fix" to the internationalization stuff in
/usr/lib/lang.src, which "corrects" the problem.  Now my old 286
XENIX sort is only 2.5 times faster than the UNIX 3.2.2 sort, instead
of 4 times faster.  I guess I need to buy a 486 :-).

(Send email if you want the "fix")
--
Roger A. Cornelius          rac at sherpa.UUCP         uunet!sherpa!rac