Strings in Standard Library

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Sun Mar 31 13:15:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar28.033357.1439 at toolz.uucp>, todd at toolz.uucp (Todd Merriman) writes:
|> I noticed that the last release of the Unix development software
|>  from Interactive included object libraries with many strings [...]
|> Is it too much to ask of Interactive to just leave all that static data out?

But how much extra data is really loaded?  Are those comments really loaded?  If
they are strings embedded in the code, i suppose that they would be.  But doing
a "mcs -p /lib/lib*a /usr/lib/lib*a|wc" revealed a total of 450K of strings in
all of the /lib and /usr/lib libraries, total.  Certainly only a fraction of those
libraries are loaded into any application, so maybe we are only talking a few 10s of
K here...

derek
--
Derek "Tigger" Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG -- U of MN Women's Lax
I am the way and the truth and the light, I know all the answers; don't need