Dos and unix on same Disk

Randy Howard jrh at mustang.dell.com
Mon Mar 25 00:44:47 AEST 1991

In article <13719 at ccncsu.ColoState.EDU>, justicec at handel.cs.colostate.edu (Christopher Justice) writes:
|> I'm having a problem installing both AT+T System V R3.2.2 and Dos 4.0 on the
|> same disk drive.  I partioned the drive (330 meg) into an 80 meg Dos
|> partition and the rest for unix.  They installed succesfully, but Dos gives
|> me a "General failure reading drive C:" when I try to run programs.  This
|> happens irregularly.  Unix has given me a couple of "unrequested harddrive
|> interrupt errors".
|>
|> Our computer Vendor is trying to tell us that you can not install unix
|> and dos on the same drive, or possibly that dos can not take up more than
|> 9% of the drive.  I find this hard to believe.  If Dos and unix are on
|> different partitions, it shouldn't matter.
|>
|> Is using Dos and unix on the same drive common?  Can you do this?  I'd like
|> to hear about your experience with doing this.

Very common.  We ship a large percentage of our pre-installed UNIX systems w/DOS
partitions.  Both the 3.2 and V4 products support DOS partitions; at boot time
you can select which one you wish to come up on (default to UNIX).  I would say
your vendor is probably confused.

--
Randy Howard                        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
Dell Computer Corp.                 @'s:jrh at mustang.dell.com