X connection problem

Rob Lingelbach rob at xyzoom.info.com
Sun Mar 3 02:23:30 AEST 1991

I'm having trouble running X with tcp/ip locally.
When I set $DISPLAY to "<localsystem>:0" and use xinit or startx, the
mesh root window is drawn, but no clients are started, and if I flip
back to the VT where I started X, I see the message
"Waiting for X server to begin accepting connections...." (the ellipses
continuing...)
X starts fine when I use a display of "unix:0", which from what I
understand makes a STREAMS connection.
What possible things could I be doing wrong with TCP/IP?

I have ISC 2.2 with ISC X11 1.2, and ISC TCP/IP 1.2 installed; TCP/IP
is configured for "no network board" (loopback mode).
There is no network board installed in my system--but I will want to
run IP eventually on a LAN, with X11.
The server is Xgp, but I have the same inability to run X networked
with the Xv256 server, so I don't think I have a server problem; they
both run OK with a display of "unix:0 (or 1, respectively)".

In case it's useful, here's the content of /etc/hosts:

# Local network host addresses
#
#ident "@(#)hosts	1.1 - 88/05/17"
#
127.1	local localhost
192.83.205.1	xyzoom.info.com	xyzoom
Thanks in advance.

Rob Lingelbach rob at xyzoom.info.com -or- {well-connected}!uunet!xyzoom!rob
KB6CUN   Compuserve: 71101,176
2641 Rinconia Dr L.A. CA 90068   voice: 213 464-6266
--------"'Tis pride that pulls the country down" (Shakespeare)-------