SCO/mountain streamer: cannot read tapes

Mike Leibensperger mjl at lccma.bos.locus.com
Fri Mar 8 00:29:41 AEST 1991

In article <22497 at oolong.la.locus.com> mjl at lccma.bos.locus.com
(Mike Leibensperger (THAT'S ME!)) writes:

> In article <1991Mar4.121608.8473 at Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE>,
> bergler at informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Roland Bergler) writes:
> >I got trouble reading tapes written on other unix-machines on my
> >Mountain filesave 150 with QIC-02 interface with SCO-unix 3.2.v2.0.
> >The tapes were written on a sun tape drive using tar, and can be
> >read on virtually any othr unix systems, includeing SCO with SCSI streamer.
>
>Yup.  That's because Sun jumped on the quarter inch cartridge (QIC)
>bandwagon early, so Sun QIC tapes use the older QIC-10 on-tape format
>rather than QIC-24.

Actually I may have been premature in blaming your problem on QIC-10/24
incompatibilities, since you say other UNIX machines have no problem
reading your Sun tapes.  You might try writing a tape on a non-Sun and
seeing if your Sun can read it.  It's possible that your other vendors
have drives and/or driver software that can read either QIC-10 or
QIC-24.  If your Sun cannot read a known QIC-24 tape, then it is
possible that your SCO/Mountain setup may need additional driver support
or controller re-jumpering to read the QIC-10 format that your Sun is
writing (as I stated in the previous article).

Viel Glu:ck!

I remain...