uucp protocol problem

Marc Teitelbaum marc at okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Feb 3 09:01:15 AEST 1988

You didn't need to convince me there was a problem, decvax did
a good job of that!  I had a line monitor and was able to see the
problem clearly.  It was interesting because the problem is inherent
in *many* uucp implementations, but it was the different timout values
which caused the bug to surface on ultrix/non-ultrix connections
over noisy phone lines.

I was surprised it wasen't found earlier because i think the person
who bumped the timouts did so to improve communications between
ucbvax and decvax, and this was clearly ultrix/non-ultrix and noisy.
But that was before i came on the scene and i believe that person
has since left the group, so the details are lost in antiquity.
Actually, Jim Bloom would probably remember.  At any rate, I put
the 4.3 g-proto in Ultrix 2.0 so the problem should go away.

As for the adb patches on 1.2 uucico's: just make sure the numbers
your changing look like the ones George listed.  I can't officially
endorse adb'ing binaries (ultrix support would kill me), but 1.2
isn't officially supported anymore anyway (they want you to be
running 2.0 or later), so have fun.  Of course its not nearly as
fun as "adb -k -w /vmunix /dev/mem"...

Marc

Marc Teitelbaum			+1-415-643-6448
457 Evans Hall