adb

der Mouse mouse at Larry.McRCIM.McGill.EDU
Sat Feb 20 08:38:43 AEST 1988

In article <19250 at felix.UUCP>, hubcap at hubcap.clemson.edu (Mike Marshall) writes:
> What if I wanted to know how to interpret the info at another offset
> (ttwrite for example)... the only way I can imagine ever being able
> to know what the *!$%##!! adb is telling me about ttywrite is to buy
> source and spend 9 months staying up all night studying it.

These structures are generally declared in include files, which are
usually included even with binary distribution.  struct swdevt, for
example, is declared in /sys/h/conf.h (at least in 4.3, and therefore
presumably for your system as well).

The other case you mentioned, ttwrite, isn't a data structure at all
but a routine.

In some cases, unfortunately, the structure is specific to one driver
and can be found only in the file for that driver.  These are things
like dmfl_softc (which is specific to the DMF-32 driver).  There isn't
much to do about these, except possibly to look at source to a related
dialect of UNIX (eg, 4.2BSD or 4.3BSD for Ultrix) and hope that the
driver hasn't been rewritten since then.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse at mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu