How do you identify VAX/PMAX cpu's from software?

Frank Wortner frank at croton.DEC.COM
Wed May 31 23:10:57 AEST 1989

Since I was in a hurry last night --- I had to catch a train --- I did a hurry-up job
on the cputype.c program posting, and I did not give proper credit to Alan Rollow of DEC
for his CPU-id subroutines.  My apologies.

The program does identity those CPUs that can be distinguished, should you really need to
do so.  While there is conditional compilation in cputype.c, no special flags need be
passed to the compiler to differentiate VAX from RISC versions.  If I had had more time,
I would have tried to isolate more of the machine-dependant code.

Regards,

						Frank