Using a Ultrix VAXserver as a boot node for DECstation 3100?

Charles Chambers chambers at crcc.uh.edu
Fri May 26 01:34:10 AEST 1989

We currently have a Vaxserver 3500 running Ultrix, and are planning on buying
a couple of DECstations 3100's each with RZ23 for paging. Our sale person
claims that the VAXserver can not be used as a boot node for the DECstations.
I know that the DECstations run a different flavor of Ultrix(MIPS), but the
VAXserver already has the disk capacity for the DECstations software and the
tape disk to load/backup the files. Do I really need a RZ55 drive and TK50-Z
on one of DS3100's for the RISC/Ultrix? Or have I been miss informed about
the VAX/Ultrix Server being able to server as a boot node to the DS3100's?

-Charles Chambers / chambers at uh.edu
 College of Engineering, University of Houston