How do you identify VAX/PMAX cpu's from software?

Arthur B. Smith art at dinorah.wustl.edu
Wed May 31 04:30:47 AEST 1989

In article <1241 at riscy.dec.com>, frank at croton.DEC.COM (Frank Wortner) writes:
> In article <7005 at cbmvax.UUCP>, grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
>
> Unfortunately, /etc/sizer does not exist on DECstation 3100 (PMAX), since
> the program is VAX-specific.
>
> Distinguishing a VAX from a PMAX can probably be best done at compile
> time.  Afterall, you have to generate the proper binary for the proper
> machine.  As far as distiguishing subtypes of CPUs, look in
> /usr/include/machine/hwconf.h on PMAXen and /usr/include/machine/cpu.h
> on VAXen for information.  Those files contain macros for processor type
> identification.

Oh yuck.  I generate the proper binary for the proper machine by running my
(identical) makefile on the appropriate machine.  Usually that makefile is
identical by virtue of being a symbolic link via NFS, so don't get any ideas
about "nearly" identical makefiles.  I know I can give command line arguments
to make, but I try to make it policy that all I ever need to say is "make all".

The solution for distinguishing subtypes of CPU's is no better.  Why should
one have to look in different files for equivalent information.  Come on, guys,
some of us are trying to develop software that will help sell your systems,
you should be making it easier for us, not harder!

There should be a simple system call that identifies the hardware and
software, both by major classes (VAX vs. PMAX, Ultrix vs. VMS) and
specifics (780 vs. uVAX II, or even 780 vs. 785, if possible, and OS
Version number).  Surely that information HAS to be in the kernel, why
not write a quick easy system call that gets that info. out?  What?
You say that it would have to be radically different for each
hardware/software platform?  That's your problem (or at least, it
should be yours, not the application developer's)!

        Rant, rant rant,
	art smith (art at dinorah.wustl.edu, ...!uunet!wucs1!dinorah!art)