Ultrix 3.0 (RISC) Compiler bug.

Roger B.A. Klorese rogerk at mips.COM
Mon May 1 04:25:32 AEST 1989

In article <8829 at polya.Stanford.EDU> mason at goofy.Stanford.EDU (Tony Mason) writes:
>The RISC compiler fails to handle enumerated type comparisons correctly.
>Let me guess, it's fixed in the Mips 2.0 compiler, right? :-)

Actually, that's a good guess...

As our C compiler is based on an early (pre-enums) PCC, when we chose to
implement enums, we had a choice of three models, either (a) treating them
as pointers, (b) treating them as integers, or (c) treating them as a new
derived type.  Up intil the 2.0 release, we have treated them as a derived
type, which prohibits some operations.  As of 2.0, we treat them as integers.

   % [rogerk] 101) cc1.31 foo2.c
   ccom: Warning: foo2.c, line 6: enumeration type clash, operator =
   % [rogerk] 102) cc2.0 foo2.c
   % [rogerk] 103)

This release has recently been shipped to DEC as input for their poritng
process.
--
Roger B.A. Klorese                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rogerk      928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086