How do you identify VAX/PMAX cpu's from software?

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.UUCP
Mon May 29 06:03:49 AEST 1989

In article <105 at asihub.UUCP> dan at asihub.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) writes:
> Is there a way to determine the class of a VAX or PMAX cpu under
> Ultrix?  We would like to be able to tell the difference between a
> VAXstation 3200, VAXstation 3600, VAXstation 3100 and a DECstation
> 3100 (pmax) from within a program.  Any and all suggestions are
> appreciated.

Assuming you really want to do such a disgusting and questionable thing,
you might take a look at /etc/sizer (man sizer).  You could create a
pipe to it and see what it returns.  Apparently it looks in the running
kernel to see what kind of machine the kernel thinks it's running on,
though there seems to be a lot of other silliness going on.

I don't know what this program does on the PMAX or on other than VAXen.
It doesn't, for example, distinguish between 780's and 785's or 8600's
and 8650's so it may in general not bother to distingush systems having
compatible programming models and I/O architecture.  It does apparently
know about display types for workstations, though.

but no way officially representing	arpa: cbmvax!grr at uunet.uu.net