Ultrix 3.0 pitfalls; please warn me

David Herron -- One of the vertebrae david at ms.uky.edu
Fri May 19 03:10:00 AEST 1989

In article <1135 at bnlux0.bnl.gov> mms at bnlux0.UUCP (Morris Strongson) writes:
>...  On our system (Vax 11/780) we
>will be building
>emacs,
Builds fine -- and even works with D-CWindows

>jove,
Dunno .. but don't expect any problems

>UREP,
Yup, we run it.  And the DP-11 driver "just installed" so I expect
the DUP-11 driver will work too.  The only caveat is to remove the
"register ..., ..." definitions from the beginning of the probe routine.
(is it "br, cvec"?) as Ultrix doesn't use them as register variables
anymore.

>News/Nntp,
Dunno .. but don't expect any problems

>Uucp,
We use the 4.3BSD uucp from Rick Adams (we don't have his latest tho').

We use this one because we have some over-the-Internet UUCP links
using the t protocol and with uucpd.  I believe the Ultrix UUCP
has none of that in it.

>BIND (name daemon),
The BIND there is 4.7.3 with some "improvements".  I had some troubles
with that version tho so we put up 4.8 but left the resolver stuff alone.
(The /etc/svcorder file is a very nice touch)

>macsyma,
Dunno .. I know we use this around here but don't know which machine
we run it on anymore.

>Imagen printer software,
Works fine

>TeX, etc.,
Works fine

>and using sendmail to route to
Use MMDF .. it's good for the soul ;-)

The only other thing is that D-CWindows is slooooooooooooooow..
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david at ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET