Ultrix 3.0 pitfalls; please warn me

Kelton Flinn kff at kesmai.COM
Mon May 22 17:58:12 AEST 1989

    We're running Ultrix 3.0 on a MicroVax II. It took me 2 tries to
install it, as the upgrade installation had changed slightly,
and the installation procedure reformatted and tried to install
on the wrong disk drive (ok, I'll admit I didn't read the prompt
carefully enough, but previous installations hadn't done this.
I ended up powering off all but the internal RD-53 system disk so that it
could make NO mistake. Thank God for backups!)
    We recompiled emacs, jove, news 2.11.whatever, smail, micro-emacs,
and various other things with no problems. tip works better than ever,
we can now dial in and out on the same lines, and it even logs people
off when they hang up! Vax C (vcc) works well now, we've
started using it for production work; it was too flaky in previous
releases, things broke in unexplained ways.
    Overall, Ultrix 3.0 seems to be good stuff.
  3:54am  up 54 days,  8:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.35, 0.57
              ^

  Kelton