How do you identify VAX/PMAX cpu's from software?

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at bbn.com
Tue May 30 23:26:11 AEST 1989

In article <105 at asihub.UUCP> dan at asihub.UUCP (Dan O'Neill) writes:
> Is there a way to determine the class of a VAX or PMAX cpu under
> Ultrix?  We would like to be able to tell the difference between a
> VAXstation 3200, VAXstation 3600, VAXstation 3100 and a DECstation
> 3100 (pmax) from within a program.  Any and all suggestions are
> appreciated.

Well, I don't have access to all of these systems, so this is a guess.  Try
the uname() system call and check the resulting structure.  If DEC
did a smart implementation, then the resulting information should tell
you what you need.  At minimum it should at least tell you if
your CPU is a MIPS or a VAX chip and the name and version of the O/S.

regards,
fletcher
Fletcher E. Kittredge  fkittred at bbn.com