DECstation 3100

jmg jmg at cernvax.UUCP
Fri May 5 16:55:49 AEST 1989

In article <2661 at decuac.DEC.COM> avolio at decuac.dec.com (Frederick M. Avolio) writes:

 **** deleted good suggestions ****
>Finally, some of you pay big bucks for Software Support from Digital -- or
>whatever company for that matter.  You're throwing money away if you don't
>use what you are paying for.  And if you don't think you are getting your
>money's worth you should complain loud, long, and clear.
>
>All I'm saying is, use all avenues available to you.  I bet we can solve or
>resolve a problem.  I'd love to try.

I am happy to hear that you can (re)solve our problems.
OK, this is VMS, not Ultrix, but

we have complained loud and long, paid big Swiss Francs, sent in SPRs,
told our local sales/support
BUT
we are told that a stupid little problem with the RBMS command
     show forwarding known physical addresses
when on a big network, will not be fixed until some future major upgrade
of hardware/software sometime on the not-so-near future.

This is regrettably only one example: there are others. I suspect that,
like most competent and conscientious support people, you do like fixing
user problems. Only trouble is, you have $-counting administrators who
stop you from doing so if they don't see a profit in it. However, the
loss is hidden, being a drop in user satisfaction.

ps. I tried the DS3100 and liked it, despite the inevitable bugs.
 _ _  o |             __                    |    jmg at cernvax.uucp