Reassigning IP-adress to boot clients

Klaus Harbo harbo at diku.dk
Tue Aug 7 21:16:45 AEST 1990

At our site we have several DEC3100s which all boot from a central server
(also a DEC3100). We have a central administration of our LAN, and they want
us to assign different IP-addresses to some our machines (all of them
boot-clients).

Unfortunately it is unclear to me how this is done. Actually we don't even
know where the machine gets its own IP-address. I think I know that it gets
it through ARP from the boot server, but where does *it* get it? -- There
must be a file somewhere that contains information about which clients get
which addresses. (Surely it can't be /etc/hosts ? -- I have tried that, and
doesn't seem to work).

Our local DEC has so far been unable to provide an answer to this question,
which is of course totally unacceptable (and perfectly in line with our
general experiences with DEC Denmark).

The net is my only hope, I'm afraid, so please help me someone!

Thanks in advance.

-Klaus
|  Klaus Harbo                   |                                         |
|  Euromath Center               | e-mail:               harbo at euromath.dk |
|  Universitetsparken 5          | phone:           +45 3135 3133 ext. 417 |
|  DK-2100 Copenhagen            | fax:                      +45 3135 0427 |