Booting diskless vaxstations

Kurt J. Lidl lidl at eng.umd.edu
Fri Aug 17 13:56:22 AEST 1990

For various weird reasons, I need to boot up a gaggle of diskless
VaxStation 2000's...

What I need to know is this -- what are the primary, secondary and
tertiary programs that a vax is supposed to load via mop?

I'd like to get it to load ultrixboot, then a kernel and then
get its swap space off a sun4 in the same room, that has lots of
disk space on it.

Basically, I'm at a loss -- I have already addnode'd a test machine,
and it sucks in the netload.sys file ok -- what does it want next?

(Telling me to RTFM is no good -- the Ultrix docs for diskless
operation are lacking, at least IMHO. If I had the source code,
I'd love to re-write the thing to be comprehensible to mere sys-admins.)

So basically I need help in setting up a diskless environment -- ideally
booting off a vax (mop_mom'ing the initial code) and then continuing
off the sun4 for root, swap and so forth.  Ideas, pointers and
experience gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.
							-Kurt
--
/* Kurt J. Lidl (lidl at eng.umd.edu) | Unix is the answer, but only if you */
/* UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!lidl    | phrase the question very carefully. */