wierd behavior of echo on a Vax

Jim Hudgens hudgens at sun13.scri.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 16 03:56:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug14.110452.11898 at isavax.isa.com> cliffb at isavax.isa.com (cliff bedore*) writes:
>In article <DOB.90Aug13152348 at tws1.inel.gov> dob at inel.gov (David L. Brooks) writes:
>>We've been having some strange problems with logfiles created by scripts,
>>recently, and i've narrowed it down to this pattern:
>>
>>echo `some basic command` "some other text string" >> logfile
>>

>I seem to remember that when DEC
>(somebody) converted Ultrix to full 8-bit capabilities some things broke.
>This may be one of them.

I think this is fixed in 4.0.  Here's one I noticed in 4.0, probably
related to the above:

Script started on Wed Aug 15 13:41:39 1990
csh> echo "foo" &
[1] 1103
csh> foo
[1]    Done                 echo \377f\377o\377o
csh>
script done on Wed Aug 15 13:41:47 1990

Very minor bug, admittedly.

(The \377's above were changed into 4 character sequence manually.
It emits them as single bytes.)

--

Disclaimer:  I didn't do it.
Read my MIPS, no new VAXES  --G. Bush