EBCDIC to ASCII conversion under ULTRIX

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.umd.edu
Thu Aug 30 00:17:14 AEST 1990

>In article <90240.091342HASKINS at MAINE.BITNET> HASKINS at MAINE.BITNET
 (Robert D. Haskins) asks for EBCDIC => ASCII conversion.

In article <1694 at quando.quantum.de> omerzu at quando.quantum.de
 (Thomas Omerzu) suggests using `dd':
>	conv=ascii    converts EBCDIC to ASCII

Unfortunately, while there is only one ASCII (or two if you count the old
non-standard version with arrows where [\]_ appear in modern ASCII), there
are very many different (and incompatible) EBCDICs.  Take any two pieces
of IBM hardware that support more than the `basic' EBCDIC set (upper &
lower case, digits, and a few special symbols) and they will not use the
same table.  Square brackets on one will turn into hats on another.%
Backslashes will vanish.  Some IBM equipment can even display characters
it cannot generate!  (I know of no instances of the reverse, which is not
to say that they do not exist.)

So, the first problem with EBCDIC to anything conversion is to figure out
exactly which EBCDIC is being used. . . .
-----
% Actually, I am not sure what usually maps to what, but the characters []
  {} \ and ^ are the biggest trouble spots.
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 405 2750)
Domain:	chris at cs.umd.edu	Path:	uunet!mimsy!chris