Missing swap space?

Larry Beaulieu beaulieu at gca.UUCP
Sat Aug 11 00:56:55 AEST 1990

In article <13722 at cbmvax.commodore.com>, grr at cbmvax.commodore.com (George Robbins) writes:

> > 	Also, note that you can use any available partition for
> > 	your second swap space; use of partition b is not
> > 	a prerequisite.
>
> Subject to the concern that using the a or c partition for a swap area will
> probably overwrite the volume label, making access to other partitions on
> the drive "interesting".

	1)	Use of partition c means using the entire drive as a swap space, so
		'access to other partitions' is irrelevant.  I do this routinely
		on dataless Sun 3/80's (root file system, page/swap reside locally)
		to make use of the 2nd 104MB hard disk, as we have up to 32MB memory
		on these systems, whose primary application is a memory pig.

	2)	As to use of partition a: as a swap space, I include the following
		/etc/fstab off one of our Ultrix systems: (VAX 11/780 w/2 x RA81):

		/dev/ra0a:/:rw:1:1:ufs::
		/dev/ra1a::sw:0:1:ufs::
		/dev/ra1b:/tmp:rw:0:4:ufs::
		/dev/ra1g:/src:ro:0:2:ufs::
		/dev/ra0g:/var:rw:0:2:ufs::
		/dev/ra0h:/usr:rw:1:3:ufs::
		/dev/ra1h:/usr/users:rw:1:3:ufs::

		As I recall this was done when that system was first upgraded to
		run Ultrix 2.0; it has been used successfully ever since.

--
Larry Beaulieu				The usual disclaimers apply.
GCA/Ultratech Corporation,