Ultrix 4.0 bourne shell scripting

James Brister brister at decwrl.dec.com
Tue Aug 7 23:32:42 AEST 1990

On 7 Aug 90 13:34:28 GMT,
bobd at hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Bob Debula) said:

> I am porting stuff from the HP-UX environment and thought that the syntax
> rules for the Bourne shell were more or less universal.  Is this an
> Ultrix peculiarity (and why did they decide not to support the ":" form)
> ?

The Ultrix standard Bourne shell (/bin/sh) is an old version. To get the
":-" behaviour as well as user-definable functions, you want to use the
shell /usr/bin/sh5 (which comes from System V release 2).

James
--
James Brister                                           brister at decwrl.dec.com
DEC Western Software Lab.                                 .....!decwrl!brister