Maxtor 8760s on a DecStation 3100

mark edwards edwards at dogie.macc.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 6 05:19:20 AEST 1990

We finally got our DecStation 3100 and a Maxtor 8760S hard drive.
Now we are trying to do a remote installation from Vaxstation 3200
and have run into some problems. The remote installation service
recognizes the 8760 as an rz80. It says the rz80 is not supported
for a boot device. Dec has been of little help. Maybe I should have
guessed something was up when I took a look at DEC's version of the
SCSI interface. Lead time for getting the cable is a month. Luckily
our DEC serviceman makes up for some of the headaches in dealing with
the rest of DEC (he loaned us a cable)

We are interested in hearing from other people that use the 8760 and
whether or not they use it as a boot device. How have other people
installed Ultrix on a 8760? Should we be forewarned of any other
problems?

Also if someone has a disktab entry for the rz80 or the 8760 we'd
greatly appreciate a copy.

thanks

mark

    edwards at vms.macc.wisc.edu
    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706