sigvec/signal handler return values?

Brain in Neutral bin at primate.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 9 03:41:01 AEST 1990

The Ultrix 3.1 man page for the signal(3) system call says that the handler
function to signal() returns void, but the example function declaration
returns int.  Which is it?

SYNTAX
     #include <signal.h>

     (*signal(sig, func))()
     void (*func)();

NOTES  (VAX-11)
     The handler routine can be declared:

          handler(sig, code, scp)
I am also uncertain what to think about the sigvec(2) system call.  My
Ultrix 3.1 on-line man page says:

SYNTAX
     #include <signal.h>

     struct sigvec {
        void        (*sv_handler)();
        sigset_t    sv_mask;
        int         sv_flags;
     };

NOTES
     The handler routine can be declared:

          void handler(sig, code, scp)
          int sig, code;
          struct sigcontext *scp;

But my 3.0 on-line and printed man pages say sv_handler returns int,
not void, and the example declaration is of a function that returns int,
not void.

Which is it?  int or void?  And why the discrepancy?

Paul DuBois
Internet:	dubois at primate.wisc.edu
UUCP:		rhesus!dubois
FAX:		608/263-4031