Size of the X server process growing uncontrollably!

lutmann at geocub.greco-prog.fr lutmann at geocub.greco-prog.fr
Wed Feb 28 21:51:32 AEST 1990

In article <2849 at bacchus.dec.com> joel at decwrl.dec.com (Joel McCormack) writes:
>My current X11 server has been running for a couple of days and is 2.9
>megabytes.  You guys are doing something I'm not.

Just 2.9 Mb ?! I really *CAN'T* believe it ! After only one day, my X server
is already more than 3 Mb (on a DS3100, Ultrix 3.0, 16 Mb RAM).

>Replies like, ``Well, I've been running 86 different programs in the
>last week, and the server is now 10 megabytes.'' aren't.

Ah ? Why not ?
If you want an example, just run 10 xtank, 10 xmoire, 10 xlife, 10 xgif...
and other programs which require lots of graphic resources, and your X server
will be down !
Pixmap(s) and colormap(s) manipulations in big graphic applications require
both lots of memory and lots of graphic resources, especially the X server.
For instance, when we run GKS or PHIGS programs, the X server can grow up
to 12 Mb in memory (I say twelve!). That's enough, I presume ? Then, our
nice system swaps and swaps... :-(

                                        Johan